A. How to apply to build in Taberna and the form that must be completed.
B. How to apply for an architectural change to your property and the form that must be completed.
C. A summary of the Architecture Control Committee for reference.
A. New Construction Application for submission to Taberna's Architecture Control Committee
The architectural review process is an effort to promote harmonious, quality development in the Taberna community. The information requested on the attached checklist will allow the Architectural Control Committee to insure compliance with the community's protective covenants and conformity with the general character of the neighborhood. The end result of this process will be a quality neighborhood that will protect and enhance your investment in your home site.
You may access the new construction application form HERE. Should you have any questions while planning your new home or about this process, Taberna's HOA has an Architecture Control Committee to help you. Your contact person is Dick Turner at 634-3404.
The New Construction Application requires the following:
- Completion of the attached checklist.
- 3 copies of your site plan.
- 2 copies of your house plan.
- 3 copies of the Application.
Once the form is completed, please submit for review to:
Taberna Architectural Control Committee
℅ Dick Turner
216 Mellen Road
New Bern, NC 28562
As stated in the protective covenants, the Architectural Control Committee will review your site plan, your house plan, and the required Information provided on the attached checklist. Within thirty days, the committee will notify you in writing of your application's complete approval, its conditional approval or may request additional information necessary to complete the application. The committee will make every effort to work with you and guide you through the application process.
- An ACR is typically used by a homeowner when asking for approval to make a change to his/her property.
- An ACR form is available HERE.
- The form is filled out, with details of the requested change and returned to the ACC (Dick Turner, 216 Mellen Rd., New Bern, NC 28562).
- The Taberna protective covenants require an Architectural Change Request form to be submitted for any exterior change to the home, installation of a fence, removal of a tree, etc., during or after construction.
- The Taberna Homeowners Association has delegated the review and approval or disapproval of the Architectural Change Requests to the Architectural Control Committee.
- In reviewing the Architectural Change Requests, the ACC will compare the request to the information in the Taberna Building, Architectural and Appearance Guidelines Rule Clarification Document.
- If the request is in agreement with the Guidelines, it will be approved. If not in agreement, it will be rejected.
- One copy of the approved/denied form will be filed in the appropriate lot number file; one copy returned to owner.
Architectural Change Request Form
C. Taberna HOA's Architectural Control Committee's Processes, Policies and Procedures
The purpose of this outline is to provide an overview of the Taberna Homeowners Association Architectural Control Committee (ACC), its make-up and primary functions.
The ACC is established as specified in the Taberna Protective Covenants. An overview of the ACC and its primary responsibilities are as follows:
- The committee consists of a chairperson and four other individuals with unlimited terms as members.
- Committee meetings are scheduled as needed at the Taberna HOA offices at 1310 Old Cherry Point Road.
- The primary purpose of the meetings is to address any new construction applications or any proposed changes to existing home sites.
- Be familiar with the Taberna Protective Covenants and Building, Architectural and Appearance Guidelines.
- As warranted, interface with contractors and homeowners in order to maintain community standards.
- Manage HOA files for all home sites.
A brief description of the "process flow" for an Application for Architectural Review or an Architectural Change Request is as follows:
Processing a Construction Application
- Applications for construction are mailed to ACC chairperson.
- Applications are collected and reviewed by the committee at the next scheduled meeting. Detailed standards for approval can be found in sections 4,5,7,8 and 13 of the Taberna Protective Covenants. Along with the Covenants, Phase Amendments and Architectural & Appearance Guidelines are referenced during the review process.
- Upon approval, the contractor is notified and receives an approved application packet. A copy of the application package is also filed in the HOA master files.
Applications from contractors consist of the following in two copies:
- Check list for Taberna Architectural Review
- Survey plot plan
- House architectural plans/drawings
- In addition, compliance deposit check for $1,000 required as well as check for mailbox and post
- Review front, rear, and side setbacks to ensure compliance with Master Covenants and plot.
- Review orientation of home for compatibility with adjoining lots/homes and neighborhood.
- If wetlands are delineated, ensure compliance with Covenants and minimum separation from house and outside structures (e.g. decks).
- Ensure contractor information is complete and if new to Taberna, contractor is licensed in North Carolina.
- Site plan information should be complete and impervious surface calculation within allowed square feet for lot.
- First floor heated square feet and total heated square feet; if a two story house must meet minimums per applicable covenants phase amendment and A.C.C. spreadsheet.
- House and driveway must be staked, trees to be removed flagged and verified with an on- site review.
- Materials specifications should be compatible with standards for Taberna colors and permitted materials. Colors requested for brick and vinyl should be compared to adjoining homes to ensure colors are dissimilar.
- Review exterior elevations for compatibility with Taberna community.
- Compare front elevation to adjoining homes to ensure some dissimilarity in architectural design.
- Primary roof pitches must meet Taberna minimums.
- Committee chairman completes Check List form sections - Plan Approvals, Site Approvals, Comments, and Date Approved.
- Committee chairman signs and dates as approved all copies of Checklist form, plot plan and house drawings.
- One set of application filed, one set returned to builder, one copy of Checklist form and plot plan to committee member assigned to follow-up.
- If applicable, $1000 deposit check and mailbox/post payment are delivered to HOA Treasurer for deposit.
- Builder receives approval/denial application packet per arrangements made by ACC chair.
Each Taberna ACC approved new home application is assigned to one of the committee members for follow-up. The member responsible insures the following:
- The job site is maintained in a safe and clean atmosphere.
- Gravel is placed in driveway during the construction process.
- A portable toilet is at the job site.
- A dumpster is on the job site during the entire construction process.
- Only approved signs are placed at the job site.
In addition, the member insures that all conditions of the approved application are adhered to throughout the construction of the home.
- Application to build, signed by general contractor and ACC
- Plot plan
- Architectural drawings
- Letter of approval from ACC
- Any architectural change request forms submitted after original application with supporting documentation.
- Files are in lot number sequence with separate files for Boleyn Creek, One Taberna Way and Arbon Court
Minutes of ACC Meetings
- Time, date, and place of each meeting and all in attendance
- Any old business from prior meetings and status
- All new business and status of each item
- Any discussion items
- Name of person recording the meeting
- Minutes are filed in a three ring binder in the HOA office. The preparer is responsible for filing the copies
- Taberna Master Covenants
- Covenants Phase Amendments
- Taberna Building, Architectural and Appearance Guidelines
- ACC Spreadsheet: Architectural Requirements
- Recorded Plats (filed in HOA Office)
- Binders Containing Brick Colors (filed in HOA Office)
Committee members should be familiar with the Taberna Master Covenants which contain the Architectural Control Committee procedures, building and site restrictions, building setback requirements, etc.
ALL UTILITY SERVICES IN TABERNA ARE UNDERGROUND AND BEHIND THE CURB. TO AVOID DISRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL, TELEPHONE, OR CABLE TV SERVICE, STATE LAW REQUIRES THAT YOU CALL ULOCO (TOLL FREE) 1-800-632-4949 (Hours: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday) FORTY-EIGHT HOURS BEFORE DIGGING IN THE AREA. REPRESENTATIVES OF THE UTILITY COMPANIES WILL RESPOND TO THE ULOCO INQUIRY AND LOCATE THE UNDERGROUND CABLES ON THE PROPERTY.
WE URGE YOU TO COMPLY WITH THIS LAW TO PREVENT ANY DISRUPTION OF SERVICE OR PERSONAL INJURY.