Only a Taberna resident may sign out a canoe. Every canoeist must sign and date the release form. A parent or legal guardian (not a grandparent) must sign for anyone under 18. North Carolina law requires that a child under 13 wear a life jacket whenever a boat is underway. Please remember to put the paddles and flotation devices back in the lock box when you finish your trip. Please observe park hours.
Gate and Canoe Key Sign Out: Canoes can be signed out through the Engles: (401) 849-6169 or (401) 255-3387, the Rovins: (252) 634-9757, or the Teasdales: (904) 219-8387.
TIPS for getting there!
- On Taberna Way, pass Country club to your left. Keep straight until Taberna Way tee’s into Emmen Rd. There is a STOP sign.
- Turn left on to Emmen road. Go to the cul d’ sac at the end of Emmen Rd and park your car.
- You will see a walk around gate. Walk through it and keep going straight (about fifty yards) until you see a small sign board. It has Naturpark information. Read it if you want to.
- Straight and to the left of the sign board is a walking bridge. Walk to the end of it and continue straight on the path.
- You will pass the canoes on a rack to your right.
- Continue about fifty more yards to the gazebo and canoe dock on Brice’s Creek.
There is more to the Naturpark than this. Just after you got off the wooden bridge there was a path to the right. It can be followed by a pretty well used path to a second wooden bridge and beyond to a bench. From that bench there is a fairly open woods that can be easily walked, but it is not marked.
Two bits of advice. Watch your step. There can be snakes. Wear long pants and use insect repellent. There are ticks, and there can be mosquitos.